Tuesday, January 12, 2010

3-D Tuesday - File Folder Journal


Hey everyone, Happy Tuesday! I am hosting the 3-D Tuesday challenge today over at Paper Craft Planet and I want you all to play along! This is a fun and EASY project! Once you make one, you'll have to make 10 more!
Since it's 2:00 a.m. as I'm typing this blog post, I'm taking the easy route and copying my instructions directly from the Paper Craft Planet forum.

My sweet friend Anita gave me one of these for Christmas, and I knew it'd be a great 3-D Tuesday project. (Believe it or not, Anita made 80 of these for Christmas gifts!) I would prefer to have printed file folders for this, like the ones SU! sells. I'm told you can also buy pretty file folders at office supply stores, but I forgot to go looking for them this past weekend. I ended up covering an old folder with some Basic Grey Lemonade paper and it worked just fine. Just make sure that the paper you're using isn't too heavy-weight since there's a lot of scoring and folding to do. A heavier paper will crack when you fold it.

Anita found great instructions here from Patty Bennett. However, Anita found her instructions to be slightly confusing at times, so she re-wrote them slightly and used a Scor-Pal instead. If you have an old file folder, you might want to try this out with it first.

1. Open the file folder and put the tab that juts out on the right side of your cutting board and cut it off.

2. Keeping the folder open, place the right side flush on the right end (12" side) of your Scor-Pal and score at 9 1/2" and 10".

3. Turn the folder 90 degrees so what was on the bottom is now on the right and score at 9" as far as you can, then turn it 180 degrees and finish scoring it on the 3" side to complete the score along the entire bottom.

4. Open file folder and put the indented tab section (which is on the left) turned to the right side and chop off 2". (Keep that 2" piece and use it to cover the top of the notepad.)

5. Find the center score that's already there and make another score 1/2" to the left of it. Depending on what kind of folders you buy, it's already there, you just need to make it deeper.

6. Now see Patty's directions where she shows to cut the bottom right corner out - you cut up to the score that goes across the bottom and over to the 9 1/2" score.

7. Follow Patty's directions to complete the folder. You can choose to use a corner rounder on the corners of the flap, too!
See! Super fun and easy! Give it a try, and link back here if you do so I can see your creation!

Any questions, just email me!

11 comments:

Tethered2Home said...

Oh my, 2 am ... your a good cookie. Your File Folder Journals is great. I can't wait to try it this week. hmmm I wonder which old files we have that need to be 'recycled'. :D
Thanks for all the links,
Amy.

Jane Wetzel said...

This is just darling Tammy! I gotta try to get out there for one of your classes one day! :) Think I am gonna try this! :)

Jessica G. said...

Awesome project, Tammy! I'll definitely give this one a try because I'm a huge fan of lists, especially when they are as classsy as this one!!

Barbara said...

Great project, Tammy! Thanks for the instructions! It does look pretty easy!

Kristin Eberline said...

OMG Tammy, I LOOOOOVE this! It's so cute and functional! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Your colors are beautiful together and I love the background you created for the pretty sentiment. Awesome, girly! Thanks for the instructions...I NEED to make one of these!

Kim Burmeister said...

Tammy, this is awesome! So cute and functional! Love it!

Janine said...

Oh Sweetcheeks!! This is awesome!! And I have a ton of file folders...

Jodi Collins said...

How AWESOME! I totally LOVE this Tammy! I am SO making one of these! Thanks for the directions!!

AShu93 said...

That's a great project. I might try it tonight. And I found some really cute cupcake folders in the $1 at Michael's the other night. I don't know if the Fairlawn one has them (if you get up that way) because I was at Chapel Hill.

LeAnne said...

This is CUTE! I will have to give it a try. I have a stampin' weekend coming up with a shoebox swap....I'll bet they would LOVE this!

dpkennedy said...

Oh that's cool! These would be great teachers gifts! I'd better start now for June because I am always disorganized and last minute! Awesome gift Tammy!